Monday 11 June 2012

Oh what a jolly good jubilee!

So as you may or may not know last weekend it was the Queen's Diamond Jubilee - that's 60 years she has been our Queen! Personally I'm not a big royal fanatic. Don't get me wrong, I watched the Royal wedding last year and watched bits and bobs of this years festivities but I don't go mad for it all. Between you and me, I'm not even the biggest fan of London.... I'm too much of a country bumpkin!One person I know who loves all things Royal is my Step mum. Although to me she is just known as Heather. It was her birthday this weekend just gone and I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to give her a Royal/British themed present so I put this basket together. We don't have lots of money to throw around at the minute but I still wanted to give something special. Some things I made and others I bought, but I was pretty proud with how it turned out and wanted to show off. (I play I play :P)


The obvious colour combo for a 'British' theme would be red, white and blue. I wrapped her gifts in some scrapbook paper that had come free with a craft magazine.



I decorated the basket with ribbon and made some bunting because what's more British than a bit of bunting eh? The 'Happy Birthday' street sign also came free with the same magazine as the papers.



I made this to attach to a brolly that I bought her because I liked the play on words and like to think I am funny.... Also it was quite relevant due to the typical British weather on the day. And how it is now, it's almost the middle of June and no sign of sunshine!


I found this corgi cross stitch pattern the night before her birthday but thought that I HAD to give it to her. This meant I stayed up until around 3am and got up early the next morning in order to complete it. I stuck magnets to the back of it so it could stick on her fridge.
And this is the commemorative plate that I bought her.

The other gifts included the items needed for a cream tea (i.e. scones, clotted cream and jam) and some tins shaped like a red phone box, bus and Big Ben containing tea. Like I said I was really chuffed with the end result and was even more chuffed when she rang me to tell me that she loved it all and was really grateful for the time and thought I had put into it. Just goes to show that you don't have to spend a lot to please people :)

4 comments:

  1. That is the cutest gift box ever! You have a knack with presentation! :D xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you very much :) I have these ideas and am really happy when they turn out how I imagined.... As it isn't very often! Xx

      Delete
  2. Such a thoughtful gift!! I wish I was your step mum!! no wait..that would be weird, lol.. you know what i mean,,x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes would be a bit weird, but I know what you meant :) x

      Delete

Hi there, I would love it if you left me a comment :)