Thursday 19 April 2012

7 Reasons why I don't like Facebook..... even though I still use Facebook


Everybody has Facebook nowadays. Parents (thankfully not mine), grandparents (again, not mine), Aunties, Uncles, long lost classmates, teachers, everybody has got into the Facebook action.
I first joined Facebook whilst I was at uni when my uni friends began telling me that 'Myspace was sooooooooooo dead'. When I first joined, you had to have a university email address, i.e. one that ended in .ac.uk here (obviously different for different countries) You could look at all the people's profiles who were in the same uni as you and then to see any others you had to be friends with them.

I don't think I can remember the point in time when Facebook blew up and everybody including people's pets started popping up, requesting to be friends and updating their profiles with pictures ('this is soooooo going to be my profile pic'), statuses and interests.

Anyway onto my 7 reasons of disliking Facebook:
*Before I start, this is only supposed to be light hearted and I'm sure to an extent I too am guilty of some of the following because I do still continue to use Facebook*

1. Pointless/too much information status updates - Guess what I don't care if your tea was really 'yummy' or if you're having a 'cheeky vino' after work. I also don't care for a minute by minute breakdown of the programme you are currently watching - if I wanted to know what's cracking off, I'd watch it myself.

2. People having 600 friends. 600? Really you have SIX HUNDRED friends? Whatever. Maybe it's me being insanely jealous that you can find 600 people who like you and want to be friends or maybe it's me being annoyed at listing somebody you met in a pub toilet, once, as a 'friend'. Either way, either way.

3. The 'Love my kids/ Love my wife/ Love my boyfriend/ Love my family' status updates. Wow you love your kids? No way, never would have thought that you would love your kids and I'm so glad you remind me and your other Facebook friends every other day. And really? You have the best boyfriend in the world because he put the toilet seat down/brought you a yogurt from the fridge/bought you some flowers? Wicked. I care.

4. People writing on the walls/photos/status updates of other people who are blatently in the same house/room as them. Open your mouths and talk to each other; you don't have to put on a show for us all.

5. Those 'woo it's the weekend' and 'can't believe it's Monday again' statuses - believe it or not I am aware of the days of the week and the order in which they fall. You don't need to remind me. I have lived through almost 26 years worth of weeks and was probably aware of the days contained in those weeks for at least 20 of those years.

6. The cryptic status updates. The 'I'm only going to give you a taster of something but don't want to go into detail about it on Facebook' status. The 'ask me a question about my status because I then want to announce that it's too personal for all to see' status. Get.a.life.

7. Game requests. No I don't want to send you a packet of seeds for your online farm. No. Just no.

As I say although these things do my head in; I still do use Facebook. I wrote my dissertation on Facebook - 10,000 words on it. In a way it's fascinating, but on the other hand it just annoys me. This means I have certain people on the 'show me less updates' option because I want to avoid the politics of friend culling. Oh it's all just too much isn't it :)

Anything that annoys you on Facebook?

How many times can I say Facebook in one blogpost? Facebook.
This is like my dissertation all over again.

Rant over.

4 comments:

  1. timeline is really annoying but I still use facebook :)
    great post!!

    http://bubblemylicorice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh, I am not a fan of timeline. I tried to avoid it for as long as possible but it caught up with me and now I'm stuck with it! x

      Delete
  2. I literally died of laughter reading this. Just the other day, I was at work (I serve) and there were two elderly woman out to eat together. As I walked past, I couldn't help observe that they both had out their iphones and were checking their facebooks instead of talking to each other. What the??? We live in strange times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. It really grates on me when people sit checking their Facebook whilst in your company. Am I really that boring? Or is there really something so thrilling going on that you can't wait to check it out? I think it's rude and just sad x

      Delete

Hi there, I would love it if you left me a comment :)